Saturday 22 October 2011

Feeling of becoming an amalgamation of experiences…


During my travelling in the last couple of weeks I collected some stories and observations
about our changing world, which I would like to share with you in the form of
thoughts /insights.

·         An Afghan taxi driver in Wolfsburg, who was listening to Persian music and speaking Russian to me. Fantastic!

·         A taxi driver who was born in the former Eastern Germany sharing with me his travelling plans and telling me that every day he celebrates his freedom to travel anywhere he wants. The Wall does not exist anymore… Yet, we still have to do a lot to erase it from the minds of people and for sure not to build any new barriers in our physical and mental world.

·         Connecting to friends and family via Skype, e-mail, mobile no matter in what part of the world Life brings me. Having my dear people close and near to me. Even though some say it is an illusion and the distance does not become smaller, but if in our hearts we feel closely connected than we are already half way to each other.

·         Ability to buy similar things in many countries. I am not a big fan of it, but it surely gives you a feeling of familiarity. Another illusion? Or is it something that gives us a feeling of a commonly shared reality and hence makes us closer to each other, as we begin to define world through the same concepts?

·         Booking tickets and hotels for a short trip to see my friends in foreign country within half an hour, without leaving my home, online… Do you take it for granted? J Well, think that some 10-15 years ago we couldn’t do it…

·         Meeting my friends after not seeing them for 13 years and feeling so much at home with each other, as we have never parted… Was amazing!

·         Watching films with one my best friends online, living in two different countries. It is nice! Even if it is an illusion of being close, but after all we did spent quality time together and this is what counts!

·         Filling my MP3 player with music in English, French, Danish, Greek, Spanish, Russian, German, Ukrainian, Arabic, Farsi, Hindi, Polish and Armenian… There is still room for expansion! J

·         Working in a virtual team and having a feeling that my colleagues are near.

·         Reading books written by authors from different corners of this world. This is so great. I wish I could read them all in originals. Languages certainly open doors to understanding cultural backgrounds…

·         Realizing that I have education from three different countries. Yes, for that I had to go on holidays J

·         Celebrating holidays which are not part of my ethnic history and enjoying them.

·         Realizing for an uncountable time over and over again that there is much more that connects us all, no matter of our origins, affiliations, etc. rather than separates us.

·         Feeling at home everywhere I go.

·         Sharing stories with a person who comes from a different country than me about Central Asia and knowing exactly what we are talking about!

·         Realizing that no matter how great the modern technology is, which enables us to communicate through the distance, there is nothing better than sitting across the table with another human being, drinking wine, sharing stories, laughing together, looking in the eyes, feeling the warmth of hands… Magic…

·         Feeling that I am becoming an amalgamation of my (international and intercultural) experiences… and feeling so good about it…

No comments:

Post a Comment